Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Brief Rant...

I usually do not give myself over to the intoxicating intensity of a self-righteous rant, but I right now I just can't help myself...

I am absolutely sick of uninformed individuals making irrational arguments with complete disregard for the known facts...

I am tired of individuals trying to deny the veracity of the facts through their own personal "spin"...

And I am stupefyingly bored with political hate mongering on both sides...

There...it is out. Nothing earth shattering, but I dare say, many do not recognize the damage to democracy the above can have. Fascism is the eventual result if the above actions go unchecked.

I understand that democracy promotes and even underwrites this kind of free speech behavior, but that certainly does not make it right. With democracy and freedom comes personal responsibility. We have seemed to have forgotten that the excercise of freedom through the principles of democracy is predicated on a certain kind of social civility which we try and institutionalize in the form of law. That we will not yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, for example.

Absolute freedom is anarchy. And believe it or not, democracy cannot express itself to the benefit of the people in a state of anarchy.

1 comment:

Kahuna6 said...

I think freedom of expression is important. Every American is entitled to believe what he or she would like. But silly and stupid is the idea that every civilized person must take opinion- no matter how asanine- seriously.

The height of inequality is to make unequal things equal. - Aristotle

In our desire to be fair and not hurt anybody feelings, we have lost all rigor in our thinking. I'm often faulted on challenging people in their beliefs. But my feeling is simple. You can believe what you want. The second you speak it or write about it, you open you viewpoint to challenge. If you don't want that challenge, keep it to yourself. Say it front of me and I will force you to defend you position, or cry. Whichever comes first.