Monday, January 16, 2006

India...Anecdotally

I was having lunch at a very traditional Indian restaurant with a friend in Delhi one afternoon. We did not finish all our food so asked for it to be packed up for us.

(Just an aside...this is a very American thing to do. No one else in the world packs up uneaten food and takes it home. Most places look at this as very rude behavior.)

We walked out of the restaurant and was immediately confronted by a young woman carrying an infant. She held out her hand and said "please", in English, over and over again. I handed her the bag of food (this is why we had it packed up in the first place, to give it away).

Then she did something that I completely did not expect. She opened it, took a look inside, rummaged quickly through it, found nothing she wanted and threw it down on the ground. She turned and looked at me, held out her hand again, and with anger in her voice, shouted "MONEY!" at us over and over again.

I shook my head and walked away in disgust...

4 comments:

Kahuna6 said...

Beggars can be choosers apparently. I remember a guy who used to dress in a suit and hang out at the Manhattan side exit of the Midtown tunnel. He came up to me one day and told me the story of how his car got stuck and he needed some cash to get it to the garage, etc. I remember looking at him and thinking, "Well, he could easily be me," and I gave him 40 bucks- feeling quite chuffed with myself.

A few days later, I saw him out there again, giving somebody else what appeared to be the same rap. Curious and rather facinated by his con, I came back the next day to see if this was his basic gig. Lo and behold he was there again. I watched him for about an hour where he got money from about a dozen people. Then he walked down the street and jumped into his BMW and drove away.

Begging can be pretty good business, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://qdjfrgda.com/hfgw/suvr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lsxnbkgf.com/zstp/lugg.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://qdjfrgda.com/hfgw/suvr.html | http://lmbctxln.com/fins/ydvy.html